Finances and Raising Support


AIM is tuition free. It is provided by the Sunset Church of Christ and those churches that support the staff at SIBI and AIM. Except for certain fees, we do not charge students. As an AIM student you will, however, need at least $585 a month for living expenses (see the budget sheet for details). This amount will include all you will need for rent, utilities and groceries.

The intensity of AIM is such that you will not be able to work to support yourself while you are in Lubbock, or during the internship abroad. All of us--staff and students alike--rely on the freewill offerings of churches, family and individuals who want to participate in missions. Additional support will be needed for the mission field depending on the cost of living on that field. There is no need to worry about raising support for the field until after the first 5 months of study.

Raising Support

There are five specific steps that are recommended when raising support:

  1. Make your decision as if you did not need any money. Decisions about serving the Lord should not be based on money. Once you decide to be in AIM, then ask yourself how much you will be able to give to do this work. Get a job and save money. Sell some possessions and use the money to support yourself.
  2. Talk to your family. There are many ways that they can help, such as keeping you on their health insurance, sharing some of the grocery and utility money they will save when you leave home, or giving you support instead of Christmas, birthday or graduation presents.
  3. Talk to your friends. How many friends do you have? If each committed to give you $5, $10, $25 or $50 a month, their partnership with you would reach the world.
  4. After talking to family and friends, then talk to your home congregation. Maybe they will support you each month, as they would any missionary. Perhaps they will encourage individuals in the congregation to help you.
  5. If you still lack support, contact every church you know or that knows you. Past preachers or youth ministers that have moved to other congregations may be able to help you. Write and call them.